Cause-Filled Life

Posted on 9/12/2010 by Unbreakable Leo

What do you fill your life with? What small thing could you do to bring about a positive change toward the many who are in need of help? These questions are only a few out of the many that I ask myself each day when I wake up. Like so many people in their early 30's I've reached that crossing point between the priorities in my life and how to skillfully prioritizing them. For years in the entertainment industry as I lived on soup and Baja Fresh leftovers - the celebrities I worked for ate from a buffet whose price tag is more then two months of my salary. I'll admit that I have a very high propensity to dedicate my time toward helping groups and people I feel are in need - while most only want a job that lets them live comfortable sheltered lives. The idea of an altruistic nature rests dormant in many, but I've chosen to awaken the sleeping giant within.

Taking a page from the book of Sloane Berrent - I've worked hard to live a "cause-filled life." Creating, organizing, implementing, restructuring and cherishing projects that benefit people who I'll never meet to give them a step up in life. A perfect example of this idea came to me recently while talking to many youth who had outgrown the services of the youth group that I head. All they wanted was a place that taught them a certain level of skills such as scholarship research, college information and searching for jobs. Most of them wanted a centralized place that they felt comfortable to ask questions and get information specific to their needs, so I took the high road and build a computer lab just for them.

It didn't take an exhausting amount of effort as I used Facebook and professional connections to reach out to individuals who wanted to help. One person donated five unused computers from their job while other people gave away a computer or laptop which had been using up precious closet space. After a few weeks of reaching out to a select group of people I collected 10 computers and 2 laptops and located them in a space at the community center which has been used for book storage. Now working with two other people the room currently being connected to the centers network. In less then a few months and with a lot of persistence a computer lab was created in order to educate a large number of youth from high school to college age.

I'm not bringing up this story because I want thanks, although it seems that many people I work with think I'm begging for accolades, but I'm using myself as a model towards a greater idea and purpose. Living a "cause-filled life" doesn't have to be hard if you're using the right tools of creativity and diligence. Anyone can do something small that later turns into a bigger project toward to larger goal. Putting together this project taught me that anything can be done on a small budget, but the impact of that which is created can be long lasting and beneficial to so many.

Watching news reports from all over the world - I began to notice that so many school programs are being cut because of funding and budget issues. Community centers around the world often serve to fill the void left by the public school systems to build a space for all people, whether they're excelling or struggling with the issues that life has thrown at them. For those of you out there wanting to live a cause filled lifestyle I suggest that you visit a community organization near you to access their needs. Sometimes their needs are purely monetary, but often times they lack services to bring new people into their space such as basketball courts, tutors or even a computer lab. For any serious non-profit looking to be a beacon of the community - your presence and assistance will bring in more funds to help them become sustainable, thus being able to help more youth and adults in need of help.

So what's your project? What gets you out of the bed in the morning? What tugs at your heart-strings or creates a smile that your face can hardly contain? Isn't that why so many of us do the things that we do, because they serve a purpose? Just as all the matter in the universe is found here on earth, every aspect of life is contained in the world around us. While so many people have become clockwatchers at a job were time doesn't move fast enough - others have careers to where 24 hours in a day isn't nearly enough. Is that job or career you invest so much time in filled with a cause? Does it create a new way of thinking for the many or does it only serve the few who stand to benefit from it? What's your cause?

1 Response to "Cause-Filled Life"

.
gravatar
Drew Meyers Says....

Nathan-
I'm with you -- I'm constantly looking for ways to give back to others and live a more cause-filled life.

You're going to have such an awesome time in Jordan for your Vittana fellowship. So glad we connected in person in LA back in February -- I'm confident we'll cross paths again in person at some point. For now, we'll just have to stay connected via social media :)