I Need Your Help!
Dear Family and Friends,
As many of you have heard, I was recently given a Fellowship opportunity with the Vittana Foundation. My placement will be at the Microfund for Women which is located in Irbid, Jordan. For 16 weeks in 2011, I'll be assisting in efforts to help alleviate poverty in the area through microfinance and education. To say this honor bestowed upon me is a once in a lifetime opportunity is definitely an understatement. I will be helping to start a program that doesn't exist anywhere in the Middle East.
If you're hearing about Vittana for the first time, you're not alone. Vittana is a non-profit that allows you to lend capital to a specific low-income student in the developing world. In increments of $25, you choose who to lend to - whether an Accounting student in Paraguay, a Business Administration student in Peru or even a Medical student in Vietnam. As they repay their loans, you get your money back. You can either re-invest your money, withdraw it or donate it to Vittana. It's a powerfully inspiring and sustainable way to empower someone to break the cycle of poverty and an innovative way to see how you make a difference on a global scale.
Since Vittana was founded, over $324,000 have been distributed by more then 2,900 lenders in 35 countries. That money has funded hundreds of students in 5 different countries. The default rate on repayment is 3%. It's incredible to see that 97% of loans given out are repaid.
My job as a Fellow will be to assist my MFI (Microfinance Institution) partner and be the bridge between the MFI and Vittana. It will be my responsibility to add new students to Vittana's website by writing their stories and photographing them, as well as creating partnerships with schools in the region to reach more students in need of this service. I will not only assist with Vittana work, but also help train the staff of Microfund for Women on how to best implement Vittana's online platform to help them fund the less fortunate students in need of assistants. The Fellowship program is unique in the variety of tasks that I will undertake and the potential for a lasting impact on the people of the city I'm placed, the staff of the MFW and Vittana.
My Fellowship is scheduled to take place in the beginning of 2011, just as I complete my applications for Graduate School programs concentrating in microfinance and international affairs. I should note that the Fellowship is not paid and I am responsible for raising support to cover airfare and living expenses for the duration of my 16 weeks aboard. I'd be grateful if you would consider joining me and financially supporting my Fellowship.
I have created a full budget of my expenses and I'm looking to raise $7,500. Every little bit counts so please give what you can! Your contribution is extremely needed and appreciated!
There are a few ways to give:
1). Donate via my ChipIn:
2). Send cash or check payable to NATHAN RICHARDSON: please contact me for my address.
3). If you'd like to donate airline miles or help support my trip in other ways, please send me an email. wray (dot) richardson (at) gmail (dot) com.
Final notes:
*This is a donation to fund my participation with Vittana. Unfortunately due to non-profit tax laws, tax-deduction are not possible since the donation isn't to Vittana itself. However, I will be sending EVERYONE acknowledgments thanking you for your donations.
$100 donation = I will send you a personal postcard from my location. I'll compile the list just before I go.
$250 donation = A personal souvenir from Irbid will be sent to you upon my return to the States.
$500 = A personal 3x3 accordion picture album of the people and places from my Fellowship.
*All those who donate will get personal recognition on any publications pertaining to my Fellowship unless anonymity is requested. All monetary donations are welcome.
Thank you to everyone! Your support is my inspiration and fuels me daily to help in the fight to alleviate poverty and help people in Jordan to be the best they can be with the help of Vittana.
Sincerely,
Nathan Richardson

No Response to "I Need Your Help!"
Post a Comment